Monday, January 3, 2011

venues & flying blind without a budget...

Yesterday we were going to go for a hike somewhere, but I'm a bit sick, so instead compiled a list of town-halls and other 'potential' hopefully not-too-over-the-top expensive places. I must say though, community halls are fairly uninspiring from the outside. I'm sure you could jazz them up, but really they're a bit blah.
We ended up visiting a restaurant, an archery range (blah) and a farm...




So we looked at a restaurant where you can do the ceremony outside too but the grounds were boring (patch of grass, a few flower bushes) although the restaurant was nice! Rustic, light, had a big fireplace, a bar, and they were so flexible about what we wanted to do. She was chatting away saying: "We provide cream and berry coulins for your cake, which we serve up... or, a lot of people are having cupcakes these days as well."
I say: "We want to do pie..."
And her eyes lit up. And she loved it. And it was a brilliant reaction.  She had a brilliant reaction to all our suggestions..
Here's a picture of the inside of the place:
Now I don't know if it's kosher to talk about costs here (hey, it's my update I'll cry if I want to...?) but to hire this place, plus cater (probably buffet style) and unlimited drinks ends up at around 8k, which is waaaaaayyyy more than we wanted to pay. I mean, we were thinking we could keep the whole thing under 10k... but after going here and to the farm (below), I just don't know if that'll be possible, unless I'm MISSING something. I don't even want anything fancy. I want rustic! I want a farm! I wish I knew some people whose farm I could borrow for a weekend!

Anyway, then we went to this farm, which was a spur of the moment thing but we were in the area (sort of) and had seen it online... so we went there and looked around and again, it was quite nice, rustic, plenty of places for the ceremony and photos (bonus), and again would work out as WAY more than we wanted to pay (about 10k + drinks on top of that, ack)... I can't find a very good photo of it, but it had brick floors, two huge fireplaces, fairy lights, candles, etc etc... the food is apparently amazing, the chairs and stuff are wood (not going in for white covered chairs)... so, it's cool. There's geese and stuff...

But the problem is that my Mum is a tad disinterested and we haven't get had the 'are you/how much are you going to contribute to the wedding' talk with her or my Grandparents, or Dad yet... and the only wedding-related conversation we had basically involved her telling me that I wanted a small, backyard BBQ wedding (ie: the one the she and Dad had)... despite not having a backyard, or a BBQ. And ok, I want it casual, but... y'know, actually doing it somewhere as a proper thing would be nice too...
So I guess I'll keep looking, and talk to her at some point about that stuff, and then that will make it easier to know just how much/little we have to play with. I know it's probably a little selfish to come across like we're 'relying' on our families to pay for it, but I'm a full time student at the moment, and although I'll be working a 'real job' in the 8 months leading up to the wedding (hopefully) and will be able to save a heap in that time, for things that need us to book 12-18 months in advance, we need to know whether or not we have those funds, or whether we're flying solo.
Need to think of more ways to get creative with what we want... and at the same time, having a reception place that just... sets it all up... feeds everyone... and packs everything way... sounds like a nice and cruisy way of doing it, rather than me worrying so much about setting up, hiring generators...etc.. which, i wonder whether by the time you get tents/marquees, generators, caterers, booze, etc... whether that works out as much the same price anyway...
Anyway. So far so disheartening. Eloping is starting to look like a mighty fine idea, except I want people to chip in for our honeymoon, hahaha. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment