Friday, January 28, 2011

things to do before i die...

Every so often, I get the urge to make another list of 100 (or other arbitrary number) things I'd like to do before I die. I always get stuck at about 70.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, because a lot of the things I'd like to do, I've done. Most of them recently.
I was just skimming through the Mighty Life List, and yes, we are different people with different goals, and different situations, but I thought; ha, I've done a lot of these. Roll a kayak (albeit badly), check. Grow vegetables? Check.
Whenever I do my own list though, about 50% of it ends up looking like:
Go to India.
Go to Nepal.
Go to Japan.
Go to Peru.
Go to Machu Picchu.
And so on.

Although I think it's very nice to have a list of things, I think it can be somewhat deflating, or demotivating to have if it doesn't 'fit', or seems like an impossible dream. I know, it's good to aim high and go for your dreams, blah blah... but if I want to get to these places, which I do, having a list, or not, isn't going to change anything. If an opportunity and a time comes up when Nic and I can get to Machu Picchu, we'll get to Machu Picchu.

Really, I was just having a nice feeling of accomplishment about things I've done, in a fairly short amount of time. Things I can do, things I've yet to do and know will happen.
Beside that I'm feeling like a freakin' fitness junkie, as I'm about to go to a pump class, and when Nic finishes work this evening I'll go back to the gym to do my program that, by all appearances, is trying to give me muscly, manly shoulders. I figure that either has something to do with a) making my waist look slimmer (I think I read that somewhere? Beef up your shoulders for an illusion of a smaller waist?), or b) having strong back & shoulders then means I'm awesome at arm exercises. I may have made that last one up. But who knows! Maybe it's true?

Maybe in a few months I'll be a beefcake, able to pin Nic with a single arm. (And if that isn't motivation enough for him to out-do me, I don't know what is.)

 Life goal #32; wrestle bull while in loin-cloth.

No comments:

Post a Comment